You are hereHome ›
Privacy Statement - Birds Australia ACN 004 076 475 (Birds Australia)
- This Privacy Statement details Birds Australia's policy regarding any personal information you might supply to us via the Birds in Backyards Website and how the information may be used.
- This Privacy Statement applies to and should be read in conjunction with the Terms and Conditions of Use which are available on the Birds in Backyards Website. By viewing and using the Birds in Backyards Website you will be deemed to have agreed to the matters described in this Privacy Statement.
- Birds Australia is entitled, at its sole discretion, to amend, add or remove any part of this Privacy Statement at any time without notice. You should periodically review this Privacy Statement to ensure that you are up to date with any such amendments, additions or removals.
Collection of personal information
- Birds Australia is concerned with the protection of your privacy. We support the ten National Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 1998 (Cth).
- Birds Australia only collects information about you when you provide it to us.
- Information sent by your web browser may be automatically collected. This information typically includes your domain name (ie the site after the @ in your e-mail address). It may also contain your user name (ie the name before the @ in your e-mail address). Other examples of information collected by our server include the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, operating system and platform, the average time spent on the Birds in Backyards Website, pages viewed, information searched for, access time, websites visited before and other relevant statistics. The amount of information sent depends on the settings you have on your web browser.
Use and disclosure of personal information
- Your personal information may be used to:
- Provide products and services to you;
- Collect payments and to administer your account;
- Provide you with updated or new information about our products and services;
- For development of existing and new products and services;
- Maintain and update our business infrastructure and systems;
- Promote our and our suppliers' other products and services to you.
- In providing our products and services or collecting and using your personal information, we may be required to disclose some of your personal information to third party organisations, including:
- Outsourced service providers;
- Our legal, accounting, financial or other professional advisors;
- Regulatory, government and other authorities as required by law;
- Our related organisations.
- All information sent by your web browser will be used only to assist us for the purposes of providing an effective service on the Birds in Backyards Website. We may from time to time supply the owners or operators of third party websites from which it is possible to link to the Birds in Backyards Website with information relating to the number of users linking to the Birds in Backyards Website from such third party website. You will not personally be identifiable from this information.
- Birds Australia may use the information that it automatically receives from your web browser to see which pages you visit within the Birds in Backyards Website, which website you visited before coming to ours, and where you go after you leave. Birds Australia can then develop statistics that are helpful to understanding how our visitors use this website. We may use this information to measure the use of the Birds in Backyards Website and to administer and improve the Birds in Backyards Website. Once aggregated for statistical purposes, you will not be personally identified from this information. This statistical data is interpreted by Birds Australia in its continuing effort to present the Birds in Backyards Website content that visitors are seeking in a format they find most helpful.
- Birds Australia may store some information on your computer such as cookies when you visit the Birds in Backyards Website. Cookies are pieces of information that a website transfers to the hard drive of a visitor's computer for record-keeping purposes. This information facilitates your use of the Birds in Backyards Website. You can erase or choose to block this information from your computer if you want to. Erasing or blocking such information may limit the range of features available to you on the Birds in Backyards Website.
- Birds Australia will take reasonable steps to ensure the security of any information you provide to us.
- We will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information if it is no longer needed for any purpose for which the information may be used or disclosed.
Links to other sites
- You may be able to access other sites external to Birds in Backyards by clicking on links that have been provided throughout our site. Birds Australia is not responsible for the privacy policies and practices of other websites. As these sites are not part of Birds Australia, you will need to contact the organisation/institution that administers the site directly to obtain information about their privacy statement.
- You have the right to access personal information we hold about you subject to the restrictions provided by law. We aim to keep our information about you as accurate as possible. If you are concerned about our use of your personal information, or if you would like to review or change the information you have supplied us with, please contact us at with the subject line, “Privacy”. We reserve the right to charge a reasonable fee for access to this information.
Further Information on Privacy
- You may obtain further information regarding privacy issues in Australia by visiting the Australian Federal Privacy Commissioner's website at www.privacy.gov.au.
- Bird Finder
- About Birds
- Featured Bird Groups
- Bird Anatomy: How do birds fly?
- Birds as Learning Tools
- Birds as Indicators of Sustainability
- Conservation and Status of birds
- Natural Habitats of Birds
- The Urban Landscape
- Birdy Blogs
- Poetry Competition Winners
- Watching Birds
- Creating Places
- Plant and garden
- Plant and garden links
- Plant and garden books
- Environment and conservation
- Urban planning
- Birds in Backyards